You are invited to participate in the annual Junior Livestock Sale 1:00 p.m. - July 18, 2020 at the
El Paso County Fair & Events Center in Calhan, Colorado.
The Livestock Sale is the culmination of 4-H member’s year-long project efforts.It is the final step in their livestock project where the educational marketing aspects come to life. This learn-by-doing project provides members with the unique opportunity to gain many valuable life skills such as communication, critical thinking, financial management, organization, responsibility, confidence, and leadership skills. The community is vital as we connect and partner with our youth to make positive contributions to our communities.
YOUR PURCHASE IS AN INVESTMENT IN THEIR FUTURE...SO JOIN US!
Reasons to be a supporter
- Supporting youth with recognition for their hard work on their project
- Help young exhibitors finance their future
- Recognition during the sale
- Free advertising
- Your contributions may be tax deductible
- A great way to say “Thank You” to parents of youth who support your business
- Opportunity to purchase quality meat
BUYERS HOSPITALITY- Pending Covid-19 Guidelines
All past and prospective buyers are invited to our Hospitality Event in the Pavilion from
10 a.m. to 12 p.m. to enjoy free food and beverages. Buyer registration will begin at 10 a.m. in the Owens Livestock Arena.All Buyers are required to submit a current address, phone number and driver’s license number.From 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. you will have an opportunity to meet and greet the 4-H livestock project members participating in the sale in a relaxed and fun setting in the other half of the Pavilion.
Quality is the goal of all 4-H members who bring some of the finest animals raised in El Paso County to the Junior Livestock Sale. Your participation in the sale is a tribute to the youth as you recognize and reward quality by helping to “Make the best better” the 4-H Motto.
HOW THE SALE WORKS
Animals are sold by the head, not by the pound.The floor price for that day will be announced at the sale.
As each animal is led into the ring the auctioneer will start the bidding.If you wish to bid on a particular 4-H member’s animal, raise your hand to signal the bid. Make sure a ringman or the auctioneer acknowledges your bid. The highest bidder buys the animal.
Once you purchase an animal you have the following options:
- elect to have your animal custom slaughtered for your own use:
- you will pay bid price and the animal will be sent to the packer of your choice (remember to call your packer and give him cutting and packaging instructions)
- you pay the processing costs
- or you may designate the animal to be resold also called buyback
- For those buyers wishing to support a 4-H member but unable to take the animal for personal use.
- In this case, The Junior Livestock Sale will “buyback” the animal at market value and the Buyer is only obligated for the difference between bid price and market value.
How to purchase if you can't attend
If you would like to support the sale, but cannot attend the auction, please contact Lisa Sanchez (719) 649-5038 and she will explain the options and bidding that can be done for you.You may also set a limit on the amount you wish to spend.You will need to fill out the necessary paperwork prior to the sale.
In addition you may opt to just add a set dollar amount to a specific 4-H member’s animal.This can be accomplished by filling out an Add-On slip.
PAYMENT AFTER THE SALE
Payment is expected the day of the sale via cash, check, credit/debit cards.
Please make checks payable to: El Paso County Jr. Livestock Sale Committee
SALE OF CHAMPIONS
Join us for the Sale of Champions celebrating the accomplishments of the 4-H youth at 1 p.m. in the Show Arena.The champion animals exhibited at the fair will be sold.They will be on display in the Show Arena prior to the sale.Champion buyers are invited to be part of the media’s champion animal pictures taken immediately following the sale of each lot.
Each successful buyer will receive a buyer’s plaque, special edition hat, and a color picture of the 4-H member and animal for display in his/her business.In addition, Buyers of Grand and Reserve Grand Champions, in all species, will receive special plaques, pictures, and banners commemorating their purchases.